STARI: STUDENT ACADEMIC READING INTERVENTION
STARI is a literature-focused, Tier II intervention for students in grades 6-9 who read two or more years below grade level. Using research-based practices and highly engaging texts, STARI addresses gaps influency, decoding, reading stamina, and comprehension, aiming to move struggling students to higher levels of proficiency at the end of one year. STARI actively engages students in discussions of cognitively challenging content aligned to the Common Core and other 21st century standards.
PHONICS FOR READING
Each PHONICS for Reading lesson uses a systematic sequence of explicit phonics instruction, providing a consistent routine that allows students to apply each concept in increasingly challenging situations to build accuracy, automaticity, and fluency. This approach ensures upper elementary, middle, and high school students progress quickly through phonics intervention lessons, keeping them motivated and feeling successful.
Highlights of the program include:
- Routine-based phonics instruction that can be delivered by teachers or paraprofessionals.
- Fast-paced, intensive lessons build confidence as students build skills.
- Extensive practice that addresses decoding skills gaps.
- Type size, illustrations, and visual design appeal to older students.
The REWARDS® family is a powerful research-based, short-term, and specialized program for adolescent students in grades 4–12 who struggle reading long, multisyllabic words and comprehending content-area text. With explicit, systemic, teacher-led instruction, this intervention gives students new skills to unlock grade-level content-area text.
Numerous studies have validated its effectiveness. REWARDS is proven to:
- Improve students’ abilities to decode long, multisyllabic words
- Yield significant increase in fluency
- Be effective with all struggling readers, whether they are English language learners, students with reading disabilities, or students who have simply fallen behind
- Be successfully implemented by a wide variety of educators— teachers, paraprofessionals, and volunteers
Tuesday, Period 3
Friday, Period 3
Monday, Period 8